The role of the Scrum Master in an agile SAFe® organization with SAFe® Scrum Master certification
In this two-day course, participants will learn about the role of the Scrum Master in the SAFe organization. In opposite the traditional Scrum Master training, which focuses mainly on the basic rules of Scrum on a team level, the SAFe Scrum Master course presents the role of the Scrum Master in the context of the entire industry and prepares participants to effectively plan and execute the Program Increment (PI) as the main factor which enables adjustment at all levels of the SAFe organization. The course covers walking through the key components of Agile in large-scale projects, explains how Scrum is used throughout the whole enterprise, and how to conduct Iteration Planning.
Participants will discover how to build high-efficient Agile teams and becoming a Servant Leader and coach, and how to develop these teams to ensure maximum business value at scale. SAFe 5 Scrum Master (SSM) Certification means that people are prepared to play the role of Scrum Master in the SAFe environment, adding value to the teams and organizations implementing SAFe.
- Duration time 2 days
- Level of training Intermediate
The course is intended for beginners as Scrum Master role or people who want to better understand its role in an agile SAFe organization. The training is usually attended by:
- Candidates for Scrum Masters or current Scrum Masters
- Team leaders
RTE – Release Train Engineer
Thematic scope of the training
- Introduction to Scrum in SAFe
- Description of the role of the Scrum Master
- Participation in planning the Program Increment
- Supporting the execution of Iteration
- Providing a Program Increment
- Coaching Agile teams
- The Scrum approach in a SAFe enterprise
- Supporting the implementation of Scrum events
- Support the effective execution of Iteration
- Supporting the effective execution of the Program Increment (PI Program)
- Supporting continual improvement
- Choosing Agile teams in order to maximize business outcomes
Everyone can take the course, regardless of experience. However, the following requirements are recommended by course providers:
- knowledge of Agile concepts and rules
- Basic knowledge of Scrum, Kanban and XP approaches
- practical knowledge of software and hardware development processes
- Exam name – SAFe® 5 Scrum Master
- The form of the exam – multiple-choice test
- Examination – on-line in a web browser, use of books and third party support forbidden, time-limited
- Exam Access – Candidates can access the exam on the SAFe Community Platform after completing the SAFe® Scrum Master
- Exam duration time – 90 minutes (1.5 hours) from the start of the training until the end of it
- Number of questions: 45
- Passing threshold – 35 out of 45 (77%)
- Language of the exam – English
- The cost of the exam – The first attempt is included in the training / license fee, under the condition that the exam will be realized within 30 days of completing the course. Each subsequent attempt costs $ 50.
- Retake the exam Policy – Second attempt to the exam (1st repeat) can be performed immediately after the first attempt. The third attempt requires a 10-day break. The fourth attempt requires a 30-day break.
Materials useful for the exam
The purpose of the exam is to measure the knowledge and skills related to the role played. We recommend that applicants use a variety of educational resources to prepare for this exam, including:
- Training materials – training materials are an essential part of the course and can be downloaded from the SAFe Community Platform. They can be used as a reference to the content presented during the classes.
- Study guide – This comprehensive guideline describes the role in details and all aspects of the exam, including the recommended bibliography. Access is provided through the “Learning Plan” on the SAFe Community Platform after completion of the course.
- Practical test – the practical test is designed to test your knowledge before taking the certification exam *, it has the same number of questions, level of difficulty and duration time. It is part of the “Learning Plan” on the SAFe Community Platform and can be realized unlimited number of times. This is not a real exam and passing it doesn’t guarantee success in the certification exam.
- Sample Questions – Sample exam questions are also available online in Study Guide.
Obtaining the SAFe® Scrum Master certification requires a specific range of skills and is a career path for many Scrum Masters.
- SAFe® Scrum Master Certification in PDF format
- A digital SAFe® Scrum Master badge to promote your online achievement
- Annual membership to the SAFe Community Platform, which includes access to the SAFe® Scrum Master community of practice
- Access to Meetup groups and events that connect you with other SAFe certified professionals
- A variety of educational resources to help you on your “SAFe journey”
- Certificates expire one year from the date of obtaining the certificate.
- Renewal Fee: $100 per year
During the training, participants receive
- Participant’s handbook
- Preparation and one-time approach to the SAFe® 5 Scrum Master (SSM)
- Annual membership to the SAFe Community Platform
- Certificate of completion of the course
• Participants must attend both days of the course to qualify for the exam.
Professional Development Units (PDUs) and Scrum Education Units (SEUs)
- You can apply for 15 PDU points in order to meet the Project Management Institute (PMI) Continuing Education Requirements to maintain PMP, PgMP and PMI-ACP certifications
- You can apply for a Category C SEU in order to earn or renew your CSP certification through the Scrum Alliance